Monday, October 14, 2013

Linux Journal 10.14.13

So I have decided to start a blog as a vehicle for chronicling my adventures in Linux. I've been fooling with it for about a week and it's been alternatingly enthralling and frustrating. Linux takes a whole layer of crud out from between you and the guts of the computer, and that's both refreshing and educational.

At the moment I have an old Toshiba laptop running a clean install of Lubuntu 13.04. Performance is far better than it was getting under Windows XP. But this laptop doesn't really have the guts to run some of the applications I need. My main PC is running a dual boot setup with Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7, which is likely to remain the configuration until I get everything settled down.

One lesson learned is that it is flatly better to install stuff via the command line rather than whatever software manager is bundled with your distribution. Perhaps it's just the Ubuntu Software Center that's throwing me; the tools in Mint (for example) seem more intuitive. The primary struggle at the moment is with WINE, needed to run, minimally, Campaign Cartographer 3 and Fractal Terrains 3. It would be nice of it ran some games as well. Thus far FT3 runs seemingly without issue, while CC3 runs not at all, nor can I seem to get a fresh install to work. So I'm continuing to work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment