Thursday, October 31, 2013

Linux Journal 11.1.13: Almost There

I find myself in the unexpected position of having made huge Linux progress since the last post.
  • I think that the intermittent broken greeter issue has been fixed. Reinstalling the mpm package seemed to fix it.
  • Scribus is installed and seems to work fine. I will need to learn it, but it's not like I was an expert with Microsoft Publisher.
  • VirtualBox is running a Windows 7 virtual machine in seamless mode, which is incredibly slick. It will handle any non-game Windows application I might need to run.
  • WINE is installed and working. Using it, I can run EverQuest II without any obvious issue, although it could use more of a stress test. Vanguard was less successful and seemed to break the greeter as described above, but I have not yet given up on it.
  • There are a few other games I'm going to try to install, notably GW2.  Steam is going to be a question mark for now.
  • An attempted install of Campaign Cartographer 3 under WINE appeared to fail... but I can use it nonetheless. A few files will not open without erroring out, but this is nothing new.
  • Fractal Terrains installed and runs fine under WINE but did not associate .ftw files with the application. I will need to do this manually.
  • WINE is updated and still works.
  • Minecraft is set up and runs natively in Linux.
  • Using Netflix Desktop (which runs Silverlight under WINE) I can watch Netflix.

 So... yeah. I am not "done," but there has been major progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment