Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Linux Journal 10.15.13

Ubuntu puts some barriers between the user and Linux. The biggest one that I encountered so far is the Ubuntu Software Center, a combination package manager and software manager. In principle it's a nice idea for those intimidated by Linux; it works like an app store. You just browse to the app you want and click install. For some stuff, like GIMP, this works fine. For a bunch of stuff that one might need but that does not come onboard, like Java for example, or WINE or VirtualBox, it might not.

In Linux, though, the command prompt is very powerful, and no less so in Ubuntu. In all of those cases above, I was able to get the application running with a bit of research and fiddling. So first barriers are overcome. Granted that I have not yet gotten WINE or VirtualBox to actually do what I need them to do, yet, but I'm confident that it can be done and will happen.

Another quirk of Ubuntu is that there is an installer called Wubi, the details of which I don't quite understand. But essentially it lets you set up a dual boot configuration without worrying about partitioning drives, mount points or any of that stuff. Playing to the strengths of Ubuntu, it's click and go. Unfortunately because you set the install size up front, you can run into problems later when trying to run, say, virtual sessions of Windows 7 inside that Ubuntu install. And for me at least  the Wubi install seemed to make Windows behave funnily. I can't prove that, but a couple of weird sound and bluetooth issues started when I installed via Wubi and went away after I uninstalled.

So where we are today is back to 100% Windows on my main PC. I think it needs to stay that way until I can get my must-have applications running smoothly on my backup PC... which I may switch over to Mint, now that I think on it, because that's the distro I intend to use on the main PC when it's ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment